All About Madeira Stabilizer
All About Madeira Stabilizer
Feeling overwhelmed about all the different types of stabilizer? Unsure of which stabilizer to use for what fabric or project? We’re here to help! Keep reading below to learn more about Madeira stabilizer and how to easily choose the perfect type for each of your projects.
Madeira has three main types of stabilizer – Wash-Away, Tear-Away and Cut-Away.
Madeira’s Wash-Away stabilizers are water soluble, so after your embroidery is complete you simply put it into water and the stabilizer completely disappears, leaving only your embroidery. There are four different types of Wash-Away:
- Avalon Film Wash-Away: a transparent stabilizer that is perfect for washable velvet, knits, silk, organza, netting, backing for buttonholes, transfer quilt patterns or sandwiching techniques. Learn more about Film Wash-Away.
- Avalon Fix Wash-Away: a paper-like adhesive stabilizer that works well for any project that is too small or hard to hoop. Read more about Fix Wash-Away.
- Avalon Plus Wash-Away: a firm stabilizer that provides great support for dense embroidery, darning backing, textile collages and 3-D applique. See more about Plus Wash-Away.
- Avalon Ultra Wash-Away: an extremely firm stabilizer made for very dense embroidery, lacework, quilt patterns or sandwiching techniques. Find out more about Ultra Wash-Away.
Madeira’s Tear-Away stabilizers are made of non-woven cotton and once your embroidery is complete, you simply tear away the excess stabilizer. There are three different types of Tear-Away stabilizer:
- Cotton Fix Tear-Away: a non-woven with a paper backed release sheet stabilizer that is great for adhering small items within a larger hoop, embroidering without a hoop on delicate fabrics and for embroidering on stretchy fabrics. Learn more about Fix Tear-Away.
- Cotton Soft Tear-Away: this stabilizer has a smooth finish and soft feel that is perfect for all types of machine embroidery and decorative stitching. It is available in white and black.
- Cotton Stable Tear Away: this soft iron-on stabilizer is great for appliques and backing for making buttonholes. Read more about Stable Tear-Away.
Madeira’s Cut-Away stabilizers are non-woven and soft. Once you’ve finished your embroidery just cut away the excess stabilizer, leaving a stable backing for your design.
- Super Film Cut-Away: a clear film stabilizer that disappears after using a hot iron. It’s perfect for specialty fabrics such as satin, velvet, corduroy, patches and fabrics you don’t want to wash. Read more about Super Film Cut-Away.
- Super Stable Cut-Away: this iron-on stabilizer works well for dense embroidery, complex decorative stitching and applique. Learn more about Super Stable Cut-Away.
- Super Strong Cut-Away: This heavyweight stabilizer is great for open-weave fabrics with a complex design, patchworks, bags, and logos. It is available in white and black.
Want to try out all of Madeira’s stabilizers? Check out our starter set that has one sheet of each of the above-mentioned stabilizers.